Crusade of Varna - Jagiellonian March
Crusade of Varna - BIKE AND KAYAK TOUR.
Moderate terrain, varying road surfaces for cycling and diverse kayaking places - the Black Sea, Kamchia River and the Lake of Conevo. We cycle by the ruins of the medieval fortresses along the Provadia River Canyon and find out the preserved Muslim and Christian heritage of the region. Once we reach Balkan foothills we’ll change the bicycles with kayaks to pass the beautiful Conevo Lake which occupies Luda Kamchia Gorge. Then we gently paddle amidst mountain scenery, floodplain forests and the lonely beaches of Bulgaria. We’ll see majestic landmarks en route such as Madara Rider – UNESCO site, The Wonderful Rocks, the gorgeous Tombul Mosque, Ovech Fortress, Kamchia UNESCO reserve, quaint villages, unspoiled seaside nature and the fascinating city of Varna.
This exciting tour follows the medieval route of the last European crusaders to Varna in XV century and commemorates the Battle of Varna, which took place on 10 November 1444. The aftermath was that the defeated European Christian army failed to prevent turning the Byzantine Constantinople into the splendid Ottoman Istanbul, which happened 8 years later.
Jagiellonian March - CYCLING-ONLY TOUR.
The bike tour Jagiellonian March follows the same route with two dates out of the kayaking season.
CRUSADE OF VARNA -
|LENGTH:||312 km (194 miles)|
|NIGHTS:||6 nights + 1 bonus|
|LOWEST POINT:||2 m (7 feet)|
|HIGHEST POINT:||394 m (1293 feet)|
|DIFFICULTY:||EASY or ADVENTUROUS|
Day 1 Arrival in Kalimantsi (close to Maglizh stronghold)
Day 2 Cycling from Kalimantsi to Provadia (from Maglizh stronghold to Ovech Fortress)
Day 3 Cycling from Provadia to Madara (from Ovech Fortress to Madara stronghold)
Day 4 Cycling from Madara to Cherni Vrah (from Madara stronghold to the Kamchia Gorge)
Day 5 Cycling from Cherni Vrah to Debelec (kayaking and cycling through the Kamchia Gorge)
Day 6 Cycling from Debelec to Kamchia (kayaking and cycling along the Longoza Forest)
Day 7 Cycling from Kamchia to Varna (kayaking and cycling by the sea coast)
ThV: On some of the volcano-like hills once there were strong fortresses keeping the roads from the medieval capitals of Bulgaria Pliska, Preslav and Turnovo to the port of Varna. The crusaders defeated the Ottomans and take the major of them Stan and Venchan situated on the entrance and on the exit of the gorge.
ThV: The crusaders stayed in this plain for a couple of days, captured the small stronghold of Madara and seized the fortified town of Shumen to secure their back.
ThV: The fall of the strategic and unapproachable fortress of Ovech, a key crossroad connecting Thracia with the Danube and Wallahia made a great impact to sultan Murad , who immediately began to prepare his forces.
ThV: The recent dam Conevo was a part of Kamchia pass, the main route from Ottoman capital Edirne to Danubian plain. Many garrisons guarded the gorge some of which could be seen on the hills along the lake. Sultan Murad succeeded to join Anatolian and Rumelian armies with the help of the Genovese fleet and relocated them north of the Balkan using exactly this way.
ThV: Vladislav captured Petricha stronghold in the hinterland of Varna and opened his way to the sea. The crusaders had to wait for the venetian fleet to bring them southwards to attack Edirne, the capital of the Turks. The surprise was that the venetians never intended to do this favor.
ThV: The Christian army occupied the port of Varna and the coastline of the bay while Murad cut their way back and came from the west. The crusaders lost the battle because of king Vladislav’s lack of experience but didn’t lose their honor and braveness due to the efforts of the great general John Hunyadi the father of the notorious Hungarian king Mathtias Corvinus. The fate of Constantinople, Eastern Roman Empire and the Balkans was signed here and the rest was just aftermath which Ottomans coped brilliant.
- Transfer from/to Varna airport to your accommodation at the day before and the day after the tour. Transfers in two directions from/to Burgas airport will cost 35 € per person and from/to Bucharest airport 85 € per person (min 3 persons). One way transfers will cost respectively 20 € and 45 € per person
- 24-gear lightweight trekking Bike without helmet (Helmets at your disposal by renting - 20 Euro per tour)
- English/Russian speaking ride leader with local knowledge
- Kayak and Life jacket - supplement +40 Euro for Crusade of Varna - BIKE AND KAYAK TOUR
- Accommodation during the tours at family run hotels and guest houses, spa and other hotels at the quality of 3 stars including breakfasts
- Entrance fees
- Three (3) Picnic lunches and One (1) Wine tasting program at local winery
- Refreshing drinks (non alcoholic) during the cycling time
- Support vehicle and luggage transfer
- Permanent technical bike support
- Medical insurance for Bulgaria
- Bonus for direct booking on our site after-the-tour accommodation in the itineraries and cost-free transfers to/from Burgas Airport
TOUR DATES: Crusade of Varna - Bike And Kayak 08 Aug 2017; 03 Oct 2017
TOUR DATES: Crusade of Varna - Jagiellonian March 04 Nov 2017
PRICE: 630 €